Shylah Rodden has spent the last two months in a medically induced coma after suffering ‘horrific’ injuries from the incident.
The 26-year-old had been at the Melbourne Royal Show in Australia on Sunday, September 25, when it’s believed she went to retrieve a dropped phone.
Walking onto the track, she was hit by a Rebel Coaster carriage and dragged upwards before falling from a height of around nine meters.
Shylah suffered extensive injuries to her head, pelvis, arms, legs and back. She was later taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital where she was placed in a medically induced coma.
Earlier this week, hospital staff confirmed to the Daily Mail that Shylah has since woken up and her condition has been changed to stable.
However, her concerned family members still fear for her position, saying she has a long road of recovery ahead.
Speaking to the outlet, Shylah’s younger sister Caisha said: “She had suffered a severe traumatic brain injury so if that’s what people think is stable they are wrong.
“Just because she’s awake doesn’t mean she’s stable.”
She added that Shylah is currently unable to communicate.
Shortly after the accident, the woman’s dad Alan spoke to the Daily Mail about her injuries.
“The injuries are horrific. Horrific. She’s brain damaged. It’s pelvic, her arms, legs, back, neck – there’s hardly a thing that’s not broken,” he said.
A GoFundMe has since been launched by a friend of the family, Sylvia Dess, to help cover the costs of Shylah’s recovery.
The page, which has raised more than AU $18,000 ($12,200) of its AU $20,000 ($13,500) goal, states: “Shylah was involved in a tragic incident at the Royal Melbourne Show on Sunday the 24/9.
“I would like to raise as much money as I can for Shylah’s 24 hour care, rehab, therapy, possible equipment as Shylah has suffered brain injury, changes that will need to be made around her house (shower and toilet).
“Family and friends are devastated during this crucial time and thank everyone for all the kind wishes and donations. It has not went unnoticed.”
Melbourne Royal Show CEO Brad Jenkins previously described the incident as a ‘tragic accident’.
“From our understanding, there was a mobile phone at the base of the Rebel Coaster that she dropped on the ride and she went back to recover the mobile phone,” he said.
“Regrettably, she was tragically struck by the cart coming down.
“It is an extreme rollercoaster which is a lot of fun generally, but this was a tragic accident that shouldn’t have happened.”
Jenkins said the operator of the ride was experienced, and that the machine had not malfunctioned, adding: “This is a tragic accident, not a malfunction of a ride, so I can assure people that the rides are entirely safe.”