An Indian groom and his older brother have been killed after a wedding gift allegedly given to the family from a scorned former lover exploded in their home.

Newly married Hemendra Maravi, 22, and his sibling Rajkumar, 30, were blown up while setting up the gifted home theatre system.

While the groom died immediately from the explosion, Rajkumar succumbed to his injuries despite efforts to save him. 

Police confirmed that the wedding gift which was laden with explosives detonated as soon as it was plugged into power.

The bride’s former lover Sarju Markham, 33, is accused of killing the pair, with police revealing he may have sent the bomb out of spite for her marrying another man, the BBC reports. 

The shocking incident which took place in the Kabirdham district of Chhattisgarh on April 3, left four others injured, including an 18-month-old boy.

The 33-year-old, who is married and has two children, according to the Times of India, was arrested around 100km from the bomb site in the neighbouring state of Madhya Pradesh. 

The publication also reports that investigators said the home theatre system had 2kg of explosives stuffed inside the speakers and that the bomb had been carefully rigged to explode on electrical contact.

Officers said Markham attended the March 31 wedding and presented the gift to a family member without being recognised before fleeing. The gift was opened three days later. 

Police said that Markham was in a relationship with the 29-year-old bride and insisted on her becoming his second wife.

However, the woman’s family refused this and arranged her marriage with the now-deceased groom.

The explosion was so severe that the roof and the walls of the room collapsed from the impact. 

Kabirdham Additional Superintendent of Police Manisha Thakur said. ‘As Merawi switched on the home theatre system after connecting its wire to an electric board, there was a huge explosion. Merawi died on the spot.

‘His brother Rajkumar, 30, and four others, including a one-and-a-half year boy, suffered injuries and they were taken to the district hospital in Kawradha.’